Last Updated: September 24, 2017
YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND CAPABLE OF FORMING A BINDING CONTRACT WITH CFG TO USE OUR SERVICES. IF YOU ARE NOT AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD, YOU MAY NOT USE OUR SERVICES.
1. Agreement to Terms. By using our Services, you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you don’t agree to be bound by these Terms, do not use the Services. You may only access and use the Services as an individual, and not on behalf of your employer or other legal entity.
2. User Responsibilities. CFG neither verifies the accuracy of the information that users provide through the Services nor performs background checks (criminal or otherwise) on any users of our Services. CFG is not responsible for either the accuracy or reliability of any information, opinions, advice or offers provided by users on or off the Site or the conduct, whether online or offline, of any users of the Services. Ultimately, it is your decision to connect with a professional or student. Please be sure to verify the information that is important to you to feel comfortable before contacting an individual. It is important to conduct your own independent research. For example, you may search the internet for news articles about the individual, you may review websites or databases for public information, you may contact federal, state or local agencies to obtain public information, or you may try to locate them on LinkedIn, Twitter and other social networks. You are solely responsible for your selection of appropriate mentors or students, and any screening, background or reference checks, or verification of profile information that you choose to do. You agree that you are responsible for your own conduct while using the Services, and for any consequences thereof. In addition, you agree that your use of the Services is at your own risk. You assume all risks relating to your online and offline communications and interactions with other users of the Services and with other persons with whom you communicate or interact as a result of your use of the Services, particularly if and when you decide to meet offline or in-person. For instance, it is a good idea to take reasonable precautions, such as meeting at a public location like a coffee shop, when scheduling in-person connections.
4. Changes to Terms or Services. We may update the Terms at any time, in our sole discretion. If we do so, we’ll let you know either by posting the updated Terms on the Site or through other communications. It’s important that you review the Terms whenever we update them or you use the Services. If you continue to use the Services after we have posted updated Terms, you are agreeing to be bound by the updated Terms. If you don’t agree to be bound by the updated Terms, then you may not use the Services anymore. Because our Services are evolving over time we may change or discontinue all or any part of the Services, at any time and without notice, at our sole discretion.
(a) Registration and Your Information. If you want to use certain features of the Services you’ll have to create an account (“Account”). You can do this via the Site or through your account with certain third-party social networking services such as Facebook or LinkedIn (each, an “SNS Account”). If you choose the SNS Account option we’ll create your Account by extracting from your SNS Account certain personal information such as your name and email address and other personal information that your privacy settings on the SNS Account permit us to access.
(b) Accuracy of Account Information. It’s important that you provide us with accurate, complete and up-to-date information for your Account and you agree to update such information to keep it accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you don’t, we might have to suspend or terminate your Account. You agree that you won’t disclose your Account password to anyone and you’ll notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your Account. You’re responsible for all activities that occur under your Account, whether or not you know about them.
6. Feedback. We welcome feedback, comments and suggestions for improvements to the Services (“Feedback”). You can submit Feedback by emailing us at email@example.com. You grant to us a non-exclusive, transferable, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, under any and all intellectual property rights that you own or control, to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon and otherwise exploit the Feedback for any purpose.
7. Donations. If you make a donation to us via our Site, you authorize us (or our third-party payment processor) to charge you for such donation. We may ask you to supply additional information relevant to your donation, including your name, your email and postal addresses for billing and notification, your credit card number, the expiration date of your credit card, the type of credit card used, and the donation amount (such information, “Payment Information”). You represent and warrant that you have the legal right to use all payment method(s) represented by any such Payment Information. When you initiate a donation, you authorize us to provide your Payment Information to third parties so we can complete your donation and to charge your payment method for the donation (plus any applicable taxes and other charges). You may need to provide additional information to verify your identity before completing your donation (such information is included within the definition of Payment Information).
8. Content and Content Rights. For purposes of these Terms: (i) “Content” means text, graphics, images, music, software, audio, video, works of authorship of any kind, and information or other materials that are posted, generated, provided or otherwise made available through the Services; and (ii) “User Content” means any Content that Account holders (including you) provide to be made available through the Services. Content includes without limitation User Content.
9. Content Ownership, Responsibility and Removal. CFG does not claim any ownership rights in any User Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to use and exploit your User Content. Subject to the foregoing, CFG and its licensors exclusively own all right, title and interest in and to the Services and Content, including all associated intellectual property rights. You acknowledge that the Services and Content are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of the United States and foreign countries. You agree not to remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Services or Content.
(a) Rights in User Content Granted by You. By making any User Content available through the Services you hereby grant to CFG a non-exclusive, transferable, worldwide, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform and distribute your User Content in connection with operating and providing the Services and Content to you and to other Account holders.
(b) Responsibility for User Content. You are solely responsible for all your User Content. You represent and warrant that you own all your User Content or you have all rights that are necessary to grant us the license rights in your User Content under these Terms. You also represent and warrant that neither your User Content, nor your use and provision of your User Content to be made available through the Services, nor any use of your User Content by CFG on or through the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
(c) Removal of User Content. You can remove your User Content by specifically deleting it. However, in certain instances, some of your User Content (such as posts or comments you make) may not be completely removed and copies of your User Content may continue to exist on the Services. We are not responsible or liable for the removal or deletion of (or the failure to remove or delete) any of your User Content.
(d) Rights in Content Granted by CFG. Subject to your compliance with these Terms, CFG grants to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license, with no right to sublicense, to download, view, copy, display and print the Content solely in connection with your permitted use of the Services and solely for your personal and non-commercial purposes.
10. General Prohibitions and CFG’s Enforcement Rights. You agree not to do any of the following:
(a) Post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Content that: (i) infringes, misappropriates or violates a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iii) is fraudulent, false, misleading or deceptive; (iv) is defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar or offensive; (v) promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group; (vi) is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any person or entity; or (vii) promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances;
(b) Use, display, mirror or frame the Services or any individual element within the Services, CFG’s name, any CFG trademark, logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without CFG’s express written consent;
(c) Access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Services, CFG’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of CFG’s providers;
(d) Attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of any CFG system or network or breach any security or authentication measures;
(e) Avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by CFG or any of CFG’s providers or any other third party (including another user) to protect the Services or Content;
(f) Attempt to access or search the Services or Content or download Content from the Services through the use of any engine, software, tool, agent, device or mechanism (including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools or the like) other than the software and/or search agents provided by CFG or other generally available third-party web browsers;
(g) Send any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, recruitment-related communications, email, junk mail, spam, chain letters or other form of solicitation;
(h) Use any meta tags or other hidden text or metadata utilizing a CFG trademark, logo URL or product name without CFG’s express written consent;
(i) Use the Services or Content, or any portion thereof, for any commercial purpose or for the benefit of any third party or in any manner not permitted by these Terms;
(j) Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting, or in any way use the Services or Content to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information;
(k) Attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Services or Content;
(l) Interfere with, or attempt to interfere with, the access of any user, host or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, or mail-bombing the Services;
(m) Collect or store any personally identifiable information from the Services from other users of the Services without their express permission;
(n) Impersonate another person or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
(o) Violate any applicable law or regulation; or
(p) Encourage or enable any other individual to do any of the foregoing.
Although we’re not obligated to monitor access to or use of the Services or Content or to review, vet or edit any Content, we have the right to do so for the purpose of operating the Services, to ensure compliance with these Terms and to comply with applicable law or other legal requirements. We reserve the right, but are not obligated, to remove or disable access to any Content, at any time and without notice, including, but not limited to, if we, at our sole discretion, consider any Content to be objectionable or in violation of these Terms. We have the right to investigate violations of these Terms or conduct that affects the Services. We may also consult and cooperate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the law.
11. DMCA/Copyright Policy. CFG respects copyright law and expects its users to do the same. It is CFG’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances Account holders who repeatedly infringe, or are believed to be repeatedly infringing, the rights of copyright holders. Please see CFG’s Copyright Policy at www.convoforgood.org/copyright-policy, for further information.
12. Links to Third Party Websites or Resources. The Services may contain links to third-party websites or resources. We provide these links only as a convenience and are not responsible for the content, products or services on or available from those websites or resources or links displayed on such websites. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume all risk arising from, your use of any third-party websites or resources.
13. Termination. We may terminate your access to and use of the Services, at our sole discretion, at any time and without notice to you. You may delete your Account at any time by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through options in your profile settings. The following Sections shall survive upon any termination, discontinuation or cancellation of the Services or your Account: Feedback, Rights in User Content Granted by You, Responsibility for User Content, Warranty Disclaimers, Indemnity, Limitation of Liability, Governing Law and Forum Choice, General Terms and this sentence of Termination.
14. Warranty Disclaimers. THE SERVICES AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPLICITLY DISCLAIM ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure, or error-free basis. We make no warranty regarding the quality, accuracy, timeliness, truthfulness, completeness, usefulness or reliability of any Content or information, opinions, advice or offers provided on or off the Site or through the Services. Any information, opinions, advice and offers made available through the Services, but not directly by CFG, are those of the respective users and may not necessarily be relied upon. Such users are solely responsible for such information, opinions, advice and offers. CFG does not assume and expressly disclaims any liability, loss or damage that may result from your use of or reliance on the Content or any information, opinions, advice and offers (including any misstatements and/or misrepresentations) provided by users on or off the Site or through the Services.
YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH ANY ONLINE OR OFFLINE COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES AND WITH OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT CFG DOES NOT SCREEN OR CONDUCT BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR ANY USERS OF THE SERVICES. CFG IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR, AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO, THE CONDUCT, WHETHER ONLINE OR OFFLINE, OF ANY USERS OF THE SERVICES. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR SELECTING AN APPROPRIATE MENTOR OR STUDENT, AND, AT YOUR OPTION, FOR VERIFYING INFORMATION PROVIDED BY, AND/OR PERFORMING BACKGROUND OR REFERENCE CHECKS ON, SUCH MENTOR OR STUDENT. YOU AGREE TO TAKE ALL REASONABLE AND NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS WHEN COMMUNICATING AND INTERACTING WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES AND WITH OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, PARTICULARLY IF YOU DECIDE TO MEET OFFLINE OR IN-PERSON.
15. Indemnity. You will indemnify and hold harmless CFG and its officers, directors, employee and agents, from and against any claims, disputes, demands, liabilities, damages, losses, and costs and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to or use of the Services or Content, (ii) your User Content, (iii) your violation of these Terms, or (iv) any relationship or agreement formed with a third party as a result of your use of the Services.
16. Limitation of Liability.
(a) NEITHER CFG NOR ANY OTHER PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE SERVICES OR CONTENT WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOST REVENUES, LOST SAVINGS, LOST BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY, LOSS OF DATA OR GOODWILL, SERVICE INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER DAMAGE OR SYSTEM FAILURE OR THE COST OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE FOLLOWING, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT CFG OR ANY OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, EVEN IF A LIMITED REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE: (i) THESE TERMS, (ii) THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR CONTENT, (iii) THE CONDUCT OF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SERVICES, (iv) ANY AGREEMENT OR RELATIONSHIP FORMED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, BODILY INJURY, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY PERSON’S RELIANCE ON CONTENT, information, opinions, advice or offers provided on or off the Site or through the Services. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
(b) IN NO EVENT WILL CFG’S TOTAL LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR CONTENT EXCEED ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100).
(c) THE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN CFG AND YOU.
17. Governing Law and Forum Choice. These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of the State of California, without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. The exclusive jurisdiction for all disputes between you and CFG will be the state and federal courts located in the Northern District of California, and you and CFG each waive any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts.
18. General Terms.
(a) Entire Agreement. These Terms constitute the entire and exclusive understanding and agreement between CFG and you regarding the Services and Content, and these Terms supersede and replace any and all prior oral or written understandings or agreements between CFG and you regarding the Services and Content. If any provision of these Terms is held invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the other provisions of these Terms will remain in full force and effect. You may not assign or transfer these Terms, by operation of law or otherwise, without CFG’s prior written consent. Any attempt by you to assign or transfer these Terms, without such consent, will be null. CFG may freely assign or transfer these Terms without restriction. Subject to the foregoing, these Terms will bind and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
(b) Notices. Any notices or other communications provided by CFG under these Terms, including those regarding modifications to these Terms, will be given: (i) via email; or (ii) by posting to the Services. For notices made by e-mail, the date of receipt will be deemed the date on which such notice is transmitted.
(c) Waiver of Rights. CFG’s failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of such right or provision. The waiver of any such right or provision will be effective only if in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of CFG. Except as expressly set forth in these Terms, the exercise by either party of any of its remedies under these Terms will be without prejudice to its other remedies under these Terms or otherwise.
19. Contact Information. If you have any questions about these Terms or the Services, please contact CFG at email@example.com.